|Seahawks Pro-Bowl QB Russell Wilson|
Earlier this week, soon-to-be Browns ex-head coach Mike Pettine discussed Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson ahead of this weekends game and made some disparaging comments about him. Pettine refused to place Wilson in a class along with the so-called "elite" QBs in the NFL, despite all he has accomplished at a much younger age than most of those he named "elite." ESPNs Mike Sando then followed Pettine's criticisms up with his own, adding that un-named GMs (who undeniably passed on Wilson when they had a chance to draft him) give more credit to the Seahawks defense and running game for their success than Wilson.
My standard response to these claims is to point out that Wilson has 104 TD passes in a less-than-four year career, and to simply ask these critics how many of those 104 TD passes the defense or Marshawn Lynch threw? But yesterday my friend Gerald Turner complied a list of records and accomplishments that Wilson holds that is pretty comprehensive, so I'm sharing it here. Hopefully this list and Wilson's recent play puts these critics to bed for the rest of eternity.
But I doubt it. Personally, I feel much of the criticism still leveled at Wilson is because of anti-Christian bigotry on the part of the media. I'm referring specifically to reporters like CBS' Pete Prisco, who earlier this year called fans that defended Wilson's play a "cult."
Every time Wilson makes one play, the cult comes out. They have seven points. Why is he so defended?— Pete Prisco (@PriscoCBS) October 6, 2015
The truth is, the devoutly faithful Russell Wilson is on track for a Hall-of-Fame career. Here's just a part of why:
Russell Wilson is the first QB in NFL history with a passer rating of over 95.0 in each of his first three seasons.
- Wilson has 24 games with a passer rating of 100+ in his first three seasons...more than any other QB in NFL history. Flacco, Marino, and Palmer are tied for second with 19.
- Wilson leads all QB’s in the NFL over the last 3 years with 10- 4th quarter comebacks and 15- game-winning drives. No other QB in NFL history has ever done this in their first 3 years.
- He is one of only five players with at least 20 touchdown passes in each of first three seasons.
- Wilson is the first and only QB in the Super Bowl era to have average yards per attempt of 7.6 or better in each of his first three seasons.
- Wilson’s career yards per passing attempt of 7.9 is fourth-best of all QB’s since 1951.
- Wilson is ranked #1 in career postseason yards per attempt. His career average of 9.01 (min. 200 pass attempts) is the highest in NFL history.
- Wilson is the only QB in NFL history to appear in two SB's in his first three seasons.
- Wilson holds the record for most passing yards in a playoff game by a rookie QB with 385 yards. The old record was set in 1937 by Sammy Baugh with 335 yards...that record stood for 75 years.
- Wilson is ranked at #2 in all-time career passer rating (min. 1200 attempts) with a 98.6. Only Aaron Rodgers has a higher career passer rating.
- Wilson's passer rating of 98.6 for a player’s first 3 years is the best in NFL history.
- Including postseason, Wilson's passer rating of 98.5 for a player's first three years is the best in NFL history.
- Wilson's postseason passer rating of 97.8 in his first three years is the best in NFL history.
- Wilson’s career postseason passer rating of 97.8 (min. 200 attempts) is the 5th best in NFL history.
- Wilson's TD% of 5.8% in his first three years is the 2nd highest in NFL history; only Dan Marino is higher with 6.9%.
- Wilson's INT% of 2.1% in his first three years is the lowest of any QB in NFL history.
- Wilson is ranked #2 all-time with a career TD to INT ratio of 2.77 (min. 1200 attempts) behind only Rodgers.
- Wilson is ranked #3 all-time with a career INT rate of only 2.1%, behind only Rodgers and Brady.
- Wilson is the first and only QB in NFL history to throw for 300+ yards and run for 100+ yards (313 & 106) in the same game...against the Rams on 10-19-14.
- Only one QB in NFL history had more than one season with more than 20 TD passes and 10 or fewer interceptions in his first three seasons: Wilson, who has had three such seasons.
- His 72 touchdowns are the seventh-most ever through a player’s first three seasons.
- Including the postseason, Wilson has 84 passing TD's in his first three seasons, 4th-most in NFL history.
- Including the postseason, Wilson has 97 passing and rushing TD's in his first three seasons, 3rd-most in NFL history.
- Wilson is ranked #12 all-time for most passing yards by a QB in his first three years with 9950 yards.
- Including the postseason, Wilson is ranked #5 all-time for passing yards by a QB in his first three years with 11,770 yards.
- Wilson is ranked #5 all-time for most total yards (passing + rushing) by a QB in his first three years with 11,827 yards.
- Including the postseason, Wilson is ranked #2 all-time for most total yards (passing and rushing) by a QB in his first three years with 13,902 yards.
- Wilson has the 2nd highest career yards per attempt in SB history with 9.85 yards, behind only Terry Bradshaw.
- Wilson has the 3rd highest career passer rating in SB history with a 117.39, behind only Joe Montana and Jim Plunkett.
- Wilson has the 6th highest career completion % in SB history with 65.22%.
- Wilson has the 4th highest yards per attempt in a SB game with 11.76 yards in SB49.
- Wilson's 1,877 rushing yards is second-most by a QB in the modern era through three seasons behind Cam Newton's 2,032 yards.
- Including the postseason, Wilson has the most rushing yards for a QB in NFL history in his first three seasons with 2,132 yards.
- Wilson led all NFL rushers in 2014 with an average of 7.2 yards per carry.
- Wilson has a record of having had a lead at some point in 56 straight games since 2012...the old record was 45 games...Also, in those 56 games, Wilson has never lost an NFL game by more than 9 points.
- Wilson has won 36 games in his first 3 seasons; three more than any other QB in NFL history.
- Including the postseason, Wilson has won 42 games in his first three seasons; 6 more than any other QB in NFL history.
Yesterday, Fox Sports Radio's Colin Cowherd chimed in with some common sense opinions on Wilson. It was refreshing to hear:
"I think he's the smartest, most instinctive quarterback I've ever seen" - Colin Cowherd on Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson. #HerdHere
Posted by The Herd on Thursday, December 17, 2015